Header image credit: Wikihow
The Kitchen is one of the best rooms in any house. It is the heart of the home.
If you spend most of your time in the kitchen like me, these kitchen tricks will save you a lot of time and hassle when you’re working in your kitchen.
Here is a list of 28 amazing kitchen tricks that will change your kitchen experience for good!
1. Did you know that lemon is a life saver? You can use it to clean almost everything in your kitchen. Cut off the tip of a lemon and insert the nozzle from a spray bottle. Now you’ll be able to spritz lemon juice into your dishes, counter tops and other items you need to clean.
2. Use chalkboard paint to label your jars. This will not only keep your kitchen organized, but will also save you time looking for stuff. You can either use a stencil to get a cool design, or paint on a strip and then you’re good to go.
3. Get a clean plastic bottle and pour your pancake batter into it for an easy mess-free batter dispenser. Endure that the batter is well mixed and get rid of all the clumps.
4. Make a ‘floating knife rack’ by drilling holes into a plank of wood and gluing strong magnets. Then, paint the opposite side with non-toxic paint and your knives will cling to the wall. Genius!
5. Get creative and make your own custom-made meat cleaver by taping a fork to the tip of a hammer like so. Ensure that you tape it securely, and wash the hammer before using it again
6. Do you have a blunt knife? Simple! Sharpen your knife blade on the bottom of a tea cup. As long as you find one with the ceramic rim exposed on the bottom, you can swipe your knife across this surface a few times for a sharper cut.
7. Avoid the mess of storing your plastic bags in a huge heap or drawer. Simply fold them up like this and store them in a plastic container. That way whenever you need a bag you can just pluck one out like a box of tissues.
8. Wondering how to get rid of baked on grease in your oven? Try this – shake down a layer of baking soda, and then spritz with vinegar. After the two ingredients react together, use a tough sponge or brush to scrape the grime away. No single drop of grease will remain!
9. Do you want your bacon to fit perfectly on a slice of bread? All you have to do is cut the bacon in half and lay them out like this. It seems so obvious now, doesn’t it?
10. Clean your microwave and leave it smelling divine by microwaving a bowl of lemons for a few minutes. When it’s finished remove the bowl and wipe down the microwave and it will be clean and fresh.
11. Test your eggs for freshness by placing them in a glass of water. If you egg floats to the top of the glass it is bad, but when it sinks it’s perfect to eat! An egg that lingers in the middle of the glass is stale, but still okay to eat.
12. Juice up your lemons with a pair of tongs! If you don’t have a lemon juicer this can be a useful tip and it will save your hands from getting covered in lemon juice. The leverage of the tongs will also give you a stronger grip.
13. Remove water marks from your sink by using lemons! They will give your sink and tap an overall shine. Just cut a lemon in half and rub it over the entire surface. Use a cloth to wipe it dry, and you’re done!
14. In case you accidentally spill oil or another form of grease onto fabric, you can remove it using cornstarch. Quickly put a patch of cornstarch over the entire spill and allow it to dry. After a few minutes vacuum the cornstarch and brush the debris away and the stain should be gone!
15. If you have a clogged sink. Stir together a mixture of baking soda and salt, then dump this down the sink. Next, pour down a glass of warm vinegar. After it reacts and fizzles down, pour a kettle of hot water down the drain and it should be clear!
16. Don’t throw away your paperclips! Unhook a paperclip and use it as a bag latch by bending it around the top of your favorite snack wrappers.
17. Cutting up a bunch of cherry tomatoes can be a real hassle, but they sure do taste great in a salad. Save yourself some time by cutting them like this. Place your cherry tomatoes onto a plate, and then use another plate to hold them still. Then simply slide the knife between the gap to cut all the tomatoes at once.
18. If you aren’t very good at using chopsticks, this simple hack will be a lifesaver. Cut three holes into a plastic water bottle cap. Two holes big for each chopstick to fit through, and one big enough for them both to fit. Then, insert your chopsticks and you’ll have a tong like device to enjoy your sushi with.
19. Some recipes require you to use either just the whites, or the yolk of the egg. In order to separate them quickly and seamlessly, use a water bottle to suck up the yolk. Simply give the bottle a little squeeze and then hold it over the yolk and release. The egg yolk will be vacuumed up the bottle. Once the yolk is inside, you can release the rest of the pressure to free the yolk.
20. To heat multiple bowls in the microwave at the same time, place one on the rotating tray, and the other on a glass. The height will allow both dishes to fit.
21. Have you ever ruined a piece of toast or a baked good by burning the bottom? All you have to do to fix this is grate off the charred bits and it will be as good as new!
22. Place a wooden spoon on top of a boiling pot to keep it from boiling over. The wood helps to absorb some of the liquid keeping the pot leveled.
23. For a cheap DIY lunchbox ice pack, use a frozen sponge! It will last all day and can be washed and used again.
24. Once you’re finished eating a can of Pringles, they work wonders as spaghetti storage. You can even cover them with decorative paper to create custom containers.
25. Use a firm straw to remove the stem of a strawberry. This trick can also be used to help pit a cherry.
26. Wash a wooden cutting board using a lemon and salt. First, rub down the cutting board using half of a lemon. Next, sprinkle with coarse salt and leave this to sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse the cutting board and it will be clean and fresh.
27. Your apple slicer can also double as a potato slicer! Use it to cut thick fries or wedges for a tasty meal.
28. Use flavourless dental floss to help you cut soft foods. It can be used to slice cheese cakes and other soft desserts as well as certain types of cheese.
Were these tricks useful to you? Drop a COMMENT below sharing any kitchen hack that is not on the above list!