If there is one thing that all human beings share, it’s our ability to lie. We all are bestowed this ability to say things that we fully know aren’t true. Sure, we all have our tells and we may do them for good reasons, such as a surprise party or to save someone’s feelings, but it has a dark side too. A 2002 study conducted by the University of Massachusetts showed that 60% of adults cannot go through a 10-minute conversation without saying something that isn’t true.
It’s beyond likely that all of us will come across at least one person who we cannot read. A cheater or a conman that has a silver tongue. But, true also, is that those same people will come across someone that sees right through their lies. And everyone will relish in the fact that they got caught lying.
Enjoy 24 lies that people thought would work, but quickly blew up in their faces.
1. Did she really think this was going to work?
2. Sometimes it’s better when you realize those friends were never really your friends
3. Not only was it not your sweater, but it wasn’t even your snake!
4. Yelp is going to hear about this
5. Not a clever catfish
6. If you’re going to be an activist, it helps to do your research
7. It takes a lot of guts to tweet at Dale Jr. with a lie!
8. Tasteless AND a lie!
9. Never lie to a police officer…
10. Taken down by his own mother
11. He just wanted to show off
12. A Total Badass
13. Even animals will be blamed by liars!
14. Not the smartest way to avoid an argument
15. It’s not ‘hella rude’ to ask you to watch your kid!
16. Talked smack and got smacked down harder
17. But… she did ask…
18. Don’t think you’re smart, be smart!
19. I’ve got a BA in music, which is the same as a Masters in Science Epidemiology!
20. Probably not the best thing to prank
21. Bow Wow caught doing it
22. No one is covering it… except, you know, all of them.
23. Never worn outside of my pictures
24. Quite the cool story, brother
We may never truly know what drives some to lie, especially on social media of all places. Surrounded by friends and family and the whole world to see, the cost of screwing up a lie is so great. But we can all enjoy laughing at them for thinking these ridiculous lies would actually work.