Have you ever heard a random piece of trivia that you couldn’t help but share it with everyone you know? It can make you especially popular in a party where you drop random factoids to really get the conversation going. But where do you find these bits of random trivia? You could try skimming through Wikipedia’s endless knowledge base, but it’s probably better if we do that hard work for you.
Below are 12 fun pieces of random trivia that are actually… kinda interesting. Enjoy!
1. Some animals, such as capybaras and beavers were once considered to be fish by the Catholic church, according to the Scientific American. This classification meant that they could be eaten during Lent.
2. Did you know that the ‘ZIP’ in zip code actually means something? It actually stands for Zone Improvement Plan.
3. What do Yoda from Star Wars and Miss Piggy have in common? It turns out they have the same voice actor. When you think about it, it does make some sense, but still surprising!
4. The Norwegian military have a penguin among their ranks. His name is Sir Nils Olav and is an honorary colonel-in-chief of the Norwegian’s King Guard.
5. The longest word in the English language that has only a single vowel is ‘strengths.’
6. Otters are cute and adorable, but they’re also very smart. They will often use rocks to break open shells so they can get to the gooey center. But did you know that otters often h ave a rock they use all the time, that they store in the flaps of their skin?
7. The Washington Post reported that the person who sang ‘You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch’ is also the same person who voiced the original Tony the Tiger saying ‘They’re Grrrrrreat!’
8. Everyone has a unique fingerprint, but that isn’t the only thing truly unique about bodies. The arrangement of tastebuds on our tongues are also unique. Though, we doubt we’ll be seeing tongue scanners anytime soon.
9. Estimates suggest that up to about 17% of Sweden is covered in fresh blueberries. If you’re a huge fan of blueberries like me, you’ll love to know that means a lot of blueberry pies and jam.
10. We’ve all been so bored in a waiting room that we’ve basically relegated to counting ceiling tiles, but have you ever been so bored to count the ridges on a coin? Probably not. But someone has! A quarter has 119 ridges which is really fascinating.
11. This may come as a surprise – there are more tigers bred in captivity than in all of the wild.
12. It has been estimated by scientists that there may be more trees on planet earth than there are stars in the Milky Way Galaxy. 3 trillion trees against 100-400 billion stars.
There you have it, 12 random fun trivia facts for you to show off your knowledge.